Thursday, July 29, 2010

Preview of something new

Sometimes I worry if blogging work in progresses are sorta jinxing the finished peice. I know I seam to start a lot of projects, only to have them go by the way-side and sit unfinished for a very long period of time, sometimes not returning to them for weeks, months, and even years in some cases. I think, however, anyone familiar with the artistic process will (most-likely regretfully) admit that my habits are not particularly unique, since I talk with many people who seam to have similar traits. I do, at least, get back to projects over-time (provided I still see some merit in completing them - sometimes things just don't pan out, and there's a point where you just need to accept that it sucks, recoup your losses, and move onto something new and never look back.

But anyway, here I am, posting a new WIP. Floor space in my workspace is at a bigger premium than usual, since I've actually just gone ahead and stapled this one directly into the floor. It's been a fun process, though, and seams to be going okay so far. Since I've been doing larger works, I've been starting with studies, since it makes more financial sense for me to weed out the bad impulsive compositions in smaller scale before attempting them big.

Anyway, here's the study, and a shot at where I'm at:

12x4 inches, Acrylic on Masonite


You see there's a long ways to go, but at least the basic bones of its design and layout are starting to get there.

One thing I will point out, is my original paintings (I say paintings, because there's a 2nd one with this and I haven't posted the study or started the larger work) were intended to go vertical, but I recognize that its probably unlikely it'd ever be hung as intended (it's 12 feet long or high depending on how you look at it), so I've been approaching the recreation as horizontal. I guess the neat thing arguably about space is that up or down is non-existent and its all subjective, so I guess for now that works in my favour...

No comments:

Post a Comment